13 July 2009

Gaming again!

Hello again from Reno! We had a meetup with the newly interested gamers at Heroes in Sparks, and despite a compressed schedule (my fault) and lacking in good Necromunda terrain pieces (store policy), we had a great time of it.

After being contacted by a couple of gamers in the area who wanted to see about joining our new campaign, we sorted out the details and started to make preparations for the game da
y. For me this meant FINALLY finishing "Version 2" of my Orlock gang - I started my Necromunda experience in August 2007 with this gang, based on plastic Catachan kits and painted in a rather boringly uniform color scheme.

A bit boring, right? I agree.

















Roughly 10 months ago (September 2008) I started the revamp and it's all done bar a couple weapons details and cleaning up paint on the bases. I'm really happy with the changes I made, and the gang is much more in line with my original idea about the character of the gang and their role as working-class antiheroes.


Better, closer, warmer...

















As you can see, the difference is quite striking and regardless of public perception of the success/failure of my new take on the OI-FU, I'm quite content with the new look. This revamp was partially a result of being slightly underwhelmed by my first go at the gang, and partialy a desire to push my painting, sculpting, and modelling skills a bit further with some personalizations. For example, the
extremely awkward first posing of Seamus, gang leader, was annoying as hell to me for a long time; the revamp allowed me to give him a "folk hero" pose and attitude. I'm now considering a quick head swap, but haven't decided. After all, it's far too easy to keep going and going and going, without ever getting to say "it's done" and that can really bring inspiration to a grinding halt. However, his billowing cape calls for a similarly-affected hairstyle... hm. You can see the problem here, right? For now I think I'm calling it for the OI-FU. I'll sort the final details and find some sealer, and there will be my first "finished" gang.

So next on the list comes an interesting (and potentially frustrating) new project. I've been planning and buying supplies for a kit-bashed Enforcer/Arbites squad, and I think it would be a great chance to come up with some amazing one-of-a-kind minis. So far I'm looking at a parts list that includes:
  • (2) Space Marine Scout kits (standard, non-sniper variants)
  • (1) Cadian kit (20-trooper box) + (7-8) odd troopers' worth of bits
  • Assorted Space Marine arms
  • Other random bits as needed
So there's theoretically a whole squad plus three replacements according to the new WIP ruleset for Enforcers in Necromunda. The main problem is that a cyber-mastiff and handler are pretty much inescapable in that roster and I frankly don't care for the models I've been able to find. I'd sooner use an actual dog and sculpt canine body armor but still, this is a big stumbling block for this project. At any rate, those are my plans for the next big thing on my workbench, along with the incessant parade of terrain that finds its way to my "to-do" list.

For now our campaign is going to continue with two new players, and a possible third, but our next meetup hasn't been planned quite yet. More information will be posted as I get it.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Here and Elsewhere